Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Close Inspection

"There is this great difference between the works of men and the works of God, that the same minute and searching investigation, which displays the defects and imperfections of the one, brings out also the beauties of the other. If the most finely polished needle on which the art of man has been expended be subjected to a microscope, many inequalities, much roughness and clumsiness, will be seen. But if the microscope be brought to bear on the flowers of the field, no such result appears. Instead of their beauty diminishing, new beauties and still more delicate, that have escaped the naked eye, are forthwith discovered; beauties that make us appreciate, in a way which otherwise we could have had little conception of, the full force of the Lord's saying, 'Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon, in all his glory, was not arrayed like one of these.'"
Alexander Hislop


One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. ~Psalms 27:4

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Where did you find this quote?? I use it all the time, attributing it to "I read somewhere once that..." Now I'm thinking it must be from an A Beka book? Anyway, great quote it is!!!

CarolineNot said...

Given the subject of the book, I doubt the A Beka Book publishers would quote from Alexander Hislop's "The Two Babylons," because that would limit the number and type of their patrons. I assume you picked it up from me, when I read it in his introduction to the book, because I was (and remain) excited about the astute observation. ºÜº [You can link to the online publishing of the book, if you're interested in reading it.]

P.S. You know the book title should be underlined here rather than in quotes (Blogger won't allow the underline HTML tag)...and we can thank A Beka Book for you knowing that. *L*

Annie T. said...

Well.....I learned something here! Can't ever remember if book titles are underlined or what! Maybe it will stick with me now. I also loved this quote, but had never heard it before. It is so true & so uplifting. Thank you!