Sunday, April 13, 2008

Treasures(not)

There's a trash treasure heap on our land. Hey, it came with the place -- was included in the contract price. And it may well be the boys' favorite feature on the acreage. I had to crop it out of one of the Meadow Muffin Avenue photos, since it added angst rather than ambiance. Now you know one of my piggledy little secrets. I also cleaned one pane in the back door yesterday morning, so I could take one of the following photos. Man, it was cold, standing outdoors in my nightgown at 31ยบ, with a brisk wind! Our part of the globe just isn't that toasty. C'mere little polar bear. C'mere. You can come live with us. You'll like Kansas.

There's been renewed interest of late in Treasure(not) Mountain and excitement over the finds. Who wouldn't want a still-sealed can of beer, rusty oil can, and trophy toppers?


Dad, that's who, and that's why they went back out the door as quickly as they came in.

One treasure was merely described to me, sight unseen. "I found an arrow in the dump. You know, like a sign; an arrow showing the direction to go to get somewhere."

"Oh, that's nice."

I was amused the following morning, when I glanced out the back door and saw clearly what is not-so-clearly seen in this photo. I circled it:

I cropped the photo for a closer view:

I pondered its possible meanings:

Leave
Escape Route
Go This Way to Blow This Joint
The Rest of the World Is Out There
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

Who needs a directional sign in their driveway? We don't. And maybe that's the reason I like it: it makes no common sense, so one can make of it what they will.


Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. ~Matthew 7:13, 14

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are cool treasures..Love the sign. I think it should be at the end of the drive pointing in. That way we can always remember where to turn in...LOL

Kandi

Annie T. said...

Or maybe....it should be pointing up........