Saturday, July 12, 2008

Meatballs & Corn Picks

Charles asked me if I thought it would work to just slice through the tube of ground beef, creating pre-formed patties. I told him I was pretty sure I've done that once or twice and seemed to have a reasonable outcome. Normally, I form our patties, because for some reason unknown to me, I just seem to be innately good at that. I don't remember learning to form patties; I've just always done it and done it well. Other women crochet beautiful afghans, sew ball gowns, cook gourmet meals. Me -- I can deftly slap around a fistful of ground cow, forming a perfect patty, and I'm not too humble to say so. I was happy, though, to let the knife-wielding husband do the job, so I put water on to boil for the corn and left the kitchen feeling almost giddy over having escaped having my hands slimed with cow fat.

Thirty minutes later, Charles came into the kitchen with a wry smile on his face, saying, "Those things sure shrank and got round."

"Oh, no, we're having grilled meatballs?" I asked, which was a decades long play on his smile. We hadn't been married many weeks when we learned he can't form patties; they always turn into meatballs, and he thinks my patty-forming art is magical. I daresay, though, that he sold his knife and tubing skills short, because he soon delivered a lovely plateful of delectable burgers, looking not the least orbish. [orbish -- I like it, so leave me alone.]

"If anyone wants corn picks, they're on the counter," I said. "They haven't been washed, but they're actually clean, because they were only poked into cobs." Okay, I could have at least rinsed them, but I'd been waiting for the dishwasher to be emptied, so I could place them in the handy little box for tiny things, and it's not like they're for lickin' or anything.

Son4 muttered, "They're not worshed, but they're clean," and I detected a slight drawl.

I know I drop into a relaxed speech from time-to-time, so I asked, "Oh, did I say something silly?"

"No, I did," he replied. "Didn't you recognize my voice?"




For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea. ~Habakkuk 2:14

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That Maverick sure is a corker!