Monday, July 7, 2008

Favorite Things - Bible

Definitely my favorite thing. When I became God's child in 1977, I was given a Living Bible, which I did read nearly cover-to-cover. It would be many years before I learned the new translations are from corrupt manuscripts (and many translated by corrupt men), yet in the early '80s I acquired, and began to use solely, this Bible sent to me as a result of making a contribution to a well known ministry, the name of which I've shopped off the cover in this photo. The leader of that ministry, now passed into eternity, made heretical alliances and statements late in life, so I wouldn't want to bring attention to his ministry by splashing the name upon my blog.


Beneath the black duct tape is a layer of silver duct tape, which in combination with the original binding and one-another have kept my Bible intact for nearly 25 years now. Maybe Little Loo will graciously solicit duct tape coupons for me (if you're confused, see the comments on my cup), because I can testify that duct tape has done a swell job of preserving my favorite Bible. It looks like I need to soon apply another layer.

This is one of my favorite passages.

I underline and write in my Bible. Some people want to keep their Bibles in pristine condition, and that's okay too.

Sometimes I color in it and circle things.

I bracket some passages.

And I've written in the back cover.


I notice I've a note for "slain in the spirit," to see Daniel 8:17, 18, which says, "So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision. Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright." I'm sure that was part of my search, years ago, concerning what some people today call slaying in the spirit, which spirit is not from the Lord, as evidenced by (amongst other glaring and awful things) the fact that the people always fall over backwards; in any and all references in God's Word to people falling over as a result of a righteous, spiritual encounter, they fall face-first and are always commanded or helped to get up. Woe to the workers of iniquity, emissaries of Satan, who are imparting evil spirits, and there's yet another man and movement of that sort rising to fame and being embraced as I type. *grimace*

I've another, much newer Bible which was given to me as a gift. Occasionally, I use it too, and I appreciate many of its features. I also have Joycie's childhood Bible, which she gave to me when we were adolescents, and she was praying I would give my life to the Lord Jesus Christ. (She had to wait a while, because I was a tough nut to crack.) I definitely don't make any marks in that one and suspect that one day she may want to use it to provide God's Word to another lost soul.

I don't worship any Bible -- only the Author and Finisher of my faith, who loves us so much as to write His Word for us, telling us all we need to know to be fully equipped for life on earth, with sure hope of eternity in the presence of His glory.

Favorite thing -- my Bible.



All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. ~II Timothy 3:16, 17

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. ~Isaiah 55:11

1 comment:

Annie T. said...

Well, there aren't any other "favorite things" that can stand up to this. Amen!