Friday, September 19, 2008

Continuous Editing

I've long known and used the words download and upload. Unfortunately, I decided for myself their definitions and usages. Of course I'm uploading photos. Gotta get 'em out of that little camera and up there into that tower. NOT. I think it was some chatter by Neil Cavuto a couple of days ago, which set me straight. I don't normally watch Cavuto, don't understand high finance one whit (other than the WE'RE TOAST part), and my memory bytes flew the coop a few years ago, so I can't tell you today what Neil said two days ago. I can only remember it was the moving mouth on his face, which in the context of his usage, alerted me to the definitions of download and upload. And it was my face which would have portrayed chagrin, had that wee camera been nearby to capture the look. I found the byte in my brain for the most recent time I'd misused the word upload and decided I better fix it in at least that post.

Neither do I understand blog following and feeds, so I wonder if anyone is being hammered with "new posts" which are old posts being edited. And edited. And edited.

Many weeks after mentioning in a post a gift horse, Loo said, "Oh yeah, I keep meaning to tell you the adage is, 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth,'" then she proceeded to explain its meaning, about which I'd queried in my blather. For cryin' in a bucket, if I'd remembered it was mouth, instead of face, I'd have figured out the meaning on my own. I'm a pretty old horse, myself.

Have Gas, Won't Travel: That would be the post which was supposed to point one to the fact that the only oil shortage in the U.S. is a meticulously contrived one, since there's enough oil in Prudhoe Bay, alone, to supply the U.S. with oil for 200 years. The find was immediately capped -- rather than routed to us -- and they've been spending a gazillion dollars to pump the natural gas back into the ground daily...the past twenty-some years now. I learned just the other day that particular post was so confusing that my own children didn't know what they'd read. We can't have that, so editing is going to mean rewriting the whole thing. At least one person understood the thrust of my composition, because I received an email smackdown for exposing the facts, my being all unAmerican for mentioning them. I live in America, and reality and honesty are p.r.e.t.t.y high on my priority list. If reality and honesty aren't American attributes, maybe I am unAmerican. And don't get me started on the lame, misapplied, and wearying use of the word theory. Facts. Just the facts, please. Theories are birthed by people who have more think-time on their hands than I.

I try to edit my mouth. People laugh when I say pharaoh, horse, enchilada, chocolate, or root beer. I'm working on most of those. I can't seem to do a thing about horse.

Most importantly, though, I hope God is continuously editing me; my all of me. God would be YHWH. I usually avoid using His real name, because that makes even some Christians nervous. Apparently there are Christians (purported or actual) with unBiblical beliefs and who do use God's real name. I don't know them, and I don't know about them. I only know they exist, because someone got a little fuzzed-up over me calling God by His real name and suggesting that might be a good practice, since there are people who believe YHWH and false gods (with other names) are one and the same. "Are you one of those people who believe ____?" I am not, although I can‘t remember now what was in the blank. I do desire that YHWH edit me -- continuously. He's really keen on reality and truth. I want to be more pleasing to Him, as He refines me.

Edit me, Lord. I need it.


And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. ~Matthew 24:4-14

No comments: