Thursday, September 6, 2007

And So It Goes

Son4 walked up beside me at the desk last night and said, "F.r.e.a.k.y," which, of course, caused me to turn and look at him, at which time I saw that he was holding a large, neon pink tumbler, and rising from the tumbler were two purple straws -- one in each nostril. At a loss for words, I just rolled my eyes, and he wandered away. Moments later, I heard the unmistakable sound of bubble-blowing and Son3 exclaiming, "Gross! Stop it!"

When Son4 told me last week that the cat had found favor in his freshly poured glass of milk and asked if he should throw it out, I told him that was up to him. I heard him rinse the cat slobber cocktail down the drain. I have a sneaking suspicion he drank the nostril-stirred concoction, but I'm not gonna ask.

This reminds me of the time I discovered the need to cover with great specificity what things are not suitable ear insertions. Popcorn. I forgot to mention popcorn. I was able to get it out, though, without the aid of professionals.

Having sifted through bins of watermelons yesterday, I mentioned that I wished the produce sprinklers were running, because I didn't like having grimy hands. Ask, and ye shall receive...inside of 15 seconds anyway. So I exclaimed, "They're on now!" and rushed to the area of the lettuce bins to rinse my hands in the ethereal mist.

"Oh my gosh, I don't even know you," muttered Son3 as he quickly wheeled away with the cart. He liked me better dirty?

Even so, he agreed to go back to the store with me today. I really was on my best behavior -- well, except for the time I said rather huffily and none too quietly, "See if you can find the English on this package!"

We paid for our purchases, Son3 pushed the cart, and I was following, looking at the register receipt, and yammering ninety-to-nothing about the great deal I got on the gumbo I'd found on the rotting rack, when I let out an oomph! and an ow! Hearing the sounds, Son3 turned to see me peeling myself from the large, fire engine red, steel pillar. He slowly shook his head and kept walking, while he called over his shoulder, "I don't know you."

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. ~Psalms 46:1-3, 10-11